Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Crash Fest

As the sun sets on this wonderful weekend, I couldn't be happier about the success of our first club gathering.

The evening was beautiful, the food was good and there was much entertainment watching the various flights that took place. What really made the event was our presence of mind to actually video tape some of the fly time. Hopefully the video will make it through editing and be up on the site very soon.

Peter "Spaceman" Tulgren made multiple launches throughout the evening- to include- one lawn dart, one roof landing and actualy a complete launch and hand catch that we caught on videotape!

Josh had two "Firsts" tonight. His first radio control flight of his brand new sail plane! Unfortunatly this was soon followed by his first crash.........soon to be released on video as well. He was counceled on the virtues of Gorilla Glue and should be flying again soon.

The "Flying Frenchman" had a better time than his most recent attempts at remaining airborne. His first Hop tonight went fairly well. But as with all of us, his increased confidence led him down the path of self distruction. Several flights later, I had lost track of where he was. Soon enough I had found him inside with his Gorilla Glue- piecing the puzzle back together.

I myself flew next. Still not kowing exactly what I am doing, but making it look good. It is amazing how loud a "Thud" styrofoam makes 50 feet away from you........I proved his several times tonight.

"Digger" (Dan Parent) unveiled his newly engineered propeller system (cobbed from another plane and epoxy'd in place!?!?!) and was fairly successful with it. I admire his self control with the throttle and ability to stay aloft gliding rather than under power.

Ethan (Dan's son) wow'd us with some smooth sailing with his plane. Several flights throughout the night and I think he is the only one who did not crash.

Dean "Crash-It" Scott- flew his cub with the latest edition of electronics added. I am totally amazed that he maintains enough power to fly with all of the added electronic gizmo's in place. None the less, his distinctive prop buzzing was heared zipping all around doing some low level passes and even a loop or two.

Much to our amazement, we actually had 4 planes in the air at one time tonight. And this actually lasted more than just a few seconds. Although Dan had some control issues and his plane started wandering towards Bakersfield........Clem sort of kept to himself in a tight spiral at the back of the field, actually it was a good flight for him. And during all of this Dean and I tried to torment each other. I actually heard Dean making machine gun noises as he dropped in behind me and lined me in his sights.....until I thwarted his attempt by crashing my plane! I do believe I heard him laughing as he circled above the wreckage.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. It is nice to have the opportunity to share in something this fun with my family and friends.

Until the next "Hop"...................

No comments: