Monday, June 9, 2008

Overloaded Wing or Lawn Dart

I'm seeing a pattern with my posts...they seem to contain pictures of my beloved Wild Hawk in pieces. I suppose I should post at least something assuring you that these damages are being repaired regularly. The last one was rather simple. This one will take some puzzle-making skills.



This one happened during the most enjoyable and relaxing flight. I returned to St. Albans around 8:45 Sunday night after doing some trout fishing with my son Ethan. The air was very still in town so I pulled into Collins-Perly and took her up. I flew for 10-15 minutes at about 200', just doing some circles and eights. I started doing some sharp turns (practicing turning without stalling) when suddenly the right wing just folded up. The plane instantly lawn-darted to the ground with the above seen damage. The entire top part of the central fuselage came off, the motor pod broke from that, the area near the front cowl where the switches are located disintegrated, and of course, the right wing snapped in two.

I do expect to have it back in the air no later than Tuesday, so no big deal, unless of course there is some damage to the electronics.

Have a good one, and I would love to see/hear about some of everyone else's flying escapades too!

1 comment:

Dean "CRASH IT" Scott said...

Some of us in the business would call that D.R.T (dead right there)